October 3, 2011

Judah's Birth Story

Our doctor had set it up with the hospital that I would be admitted on 5:00 Monday night (the 26th of September) to be induced. It was a very strange feeling that day waiting to be going to the hospital. Drew got home a little early from work and we finished packing and got on the road. We were ready to meet this baby!

We got to the hospital and a couple of hours later I was given some Cervadil to help begin the labor process. The plan was to have this medicine going for the next 12 hours, and then begin pitocin in the morning. That was not the way it ended up working out!  After 30 minutes, I was having contractions - actually it was more like one big contraction that wouldn't let up and was starting to put Judah into distress. All of a sudden, nurses and doctors were running into the room and trying get Judah's heart rate back up. It was a little scary, and we didn't realize that we were really close to having an emergency c-section right then.

But, they were able to get Judah back to normal and I was immediately taken off of the Cervadil. I was able to take a quick shower and then was started on pitocin.

My body responded really well to the pitocin and I began regularly having contractions. When my contractions were about 2 minutes apart and I was at a 5, I decided to go for the epidural. I was so happy that we did - I was able to relax and my water broke on its own. I got some sleep and by the time I woke up in the early morning it was time to push! We were told that Judah was really low so he would probably be here within the hour. It was around 6:30 AM that we called our parents to let them know they should probably get ready for the day and come to the hospital.

But again...things did not go as planned! Judah happened to get his head stuck on my pelvic bone and it was a very, very slow process of pushing him. Exactly five hours later at 2:00 PM (so thankful for the epidural!) Judah came into the world. I was exhausted but so worth it to finally meet my baby boy.


 First picture as a family of three




Judah Mark



It has been a long road waiting to become parents, and I think we feel even more blessed to have him in our lives. Judah is such a gift! 

As for his name, I have always liked the name Judah but when were discussing names I started to feel really strongly that this was the perfect name for our boy. In the Bible, Judah was the 4th son of Jacob and Leah and his name means "praise."  Learning that we were pregnant and that our baby was a healthy boy is such a praise.

It was Judah who interceded for his brother Joseph's life in the book of Genesis. The "Lion of Judah" is also an important symbol in Ethiopian culture. We both liked that Judah's name is a reminder of the people of Ethiopia.

Judah's middle name is Mark, which is Drew's dad's name. As for a nickname, we also plan on calling him Jude, who was one of the 12 apostles. Plus, now we can't help but smile when we hear "Hey Jude" playing. :) We love his name and that it has meaning to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment