Yesterday, Drew and I attended the Connecting Hearts With the Forgotten conference. It was so nice to go to an event in our area dedicated to caring for orphans. We had Jude with us because he's still nursing and I was really hoping that he wouldn't be a screaming mess all day. But he did wonderful! We held him or he sat in our laps for the entire morning and afternoon, and took a nap in my arms around lunchtime.
The conference included sessions on global advocacy, involving your church, foster care, financing adoption, how to begin adopting, and much more. I attended one on helping your child with attachment while Drew went to a session on involving your church in orphan care ministry. We also went to sessions on foster care and raising awareness for HIV positive children.
Drew and I had never really considered attending the HIV positive session until we heard Carolyn Twietmeyer from Project Hopeful speak at the main session. She and her family have an amazing story and after watching the video above, we were curious to learn more about it.
I had to miss some of her session because Jude was hungry, but I was glad to have learned more about adopting and advocating for children who are HIV positive. If you want to learn more, check out the Project Hopeful website.
The conference also had lots of exhibitors, including 147 Million Orphans and Ordinary Hero. I was able to get a new 147 Million Orphans/Project Hopeful shirt, a 147 shirt for Jude, and a Rescue burp cloth. Proceeds from the Rescue burp cloths went to helping young boys living on the streets in Tanzania.


Overall, it was a great conference and we were happy to share it with other members of our church who have the same love for the fatherless!
No comments:
Post a Comment