December 24, 2012

First Trip to the ER

One of the hardest parts of being a mom is having sick kids!  Judah has been such a healthy boy and we haven't had to experience anything worse than a cold and cough.  But yesterday morning, we had to run Judah to the emergency room due to a really scary case of hives.

On Thursday night, Judah was getting a bath when we noticed a couple really small red dots on his belly.  I didn't think too much about it, so we put him to bed and he slept all through the night.

When he woke up Friday morning, he had hives all over his stomach, back, neck, and thighs.  It was so sad looking.  He didn't have a fever though and seemed to be acting fine.  Since I didn't use any new soaps or try any new foods, the pediatrician's office said to give him a little bit of Benadryl and call back if he looks much worse in 24 hours.

Judah seemed to be his normal little self; playing, taking great naps, etc.  The Benadryl seemed to be making the hives smaller and more pink than red.  So I was shocked to see how terrible he looked on Saturday morning -- huge hives were everywhere.  All over his face, inside the diaper area...pretty much covering his entire body.  I called the doctor again and they said that since their office was so full today and some of the hives were starting to have a purplish tint underneath, we better head to the hospital.

It has always been one of my worst fears to have a really sick kid.  I rode in the backseat with Jude and was silently praying during the car ride.  I can be an easy crier and the tears were flowing!  When we walked into the ER, I was surprised that we saw a familiar face because we knew the nurse from church.  I felt such a sense of relief knowing the nurse taking care of Judah.  I do not believe this was a coincidence and immediately felt comforted that God was listening to my prayers.

The visit took a few hours.  Judah did pretty well considering it was nap time and so many people were coming in to examine his mouth, ears, etc.  There were definitely some tears but he did fine sitting in our laps.  The doctors thought he probably  had some kind of virus which caused the hives.  The inside of his ear was a little red with a little fluid, but was not infected.  (Yet!  Hoping for no ear infection coming our way.)  He was given a prescription for some steroids and we went home for a long nap.

The steroids seem to have helped, but he still looks pretty bad.  We are so thankful it turned out to be nothing worse and hope that he looks better by Christmas.  No one ever said being a parent was easy! :)



I hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas celebrating with your families!







No comments:

Post a Comment